The only way is Outreach – Social Media Week London
This morning in Central London, Tamar held our annual ‘Social Media Week’ event as part of #SMWLDN. This year we took a look at the tricky world of influencer engagement – and we invited along a panel of experts on the topic to help us out: namely, some expert bloggers.
In preparation for the event (and to celebrate Social Media Week) we also commissioned a piece of research to look at how bloggers have experienced ‘engagement’ by brands and agencies – the results of which will be formally published this week – but we started off the event by taking a look at some of the responses. Here are a few highlights to keep you going in the meantime:
- 86% of bloggers are part-timers, working a full job as well.
- Bloggers get the most social engagement from Twitter (42%) and Facebook (34%)
- 89% of bloggers would accept sponsored posts. The remaining 11% haven’t been approached yet!
- 14% of part-time bloggers spend over 21 hrs per week blogging
- Bloggers don’t have a preference between agency or brand but 65% say agencies did it better!
As we dove into the body of the event, we welcomed our bloggers to the stage. In attendance were:
Amongst the topics covered with the panel were:
- Assessing the relationship between brands and agencies in influencer engagement – who does it better?
- What approaches work for bloggers, and which ones just put them off?
- Should bloggers be treated differently from ‘traditional’ journalists?
- How should brands measure the effectiveness of the content created by bloggers – and whose responsibility is it to do the measuring?
- Do bloggers compete with each other, or work collaboratively?
- What is the best KPI for blog coverage – should it just be about the post?
- How do charities fit in to the mix?
We’ll be posting some video from the panel over the next few days, alongside the report itself – so look out for those. In the meantime, take a look through some of the fantastic tweets about the event.
A massive thank you to everyone who came to the event, and in particular the fantastic bloggers who all provided their time for free.
— 12ahead (@12Ahead) September 23, 2014
Any outreach should be relevant. Cold call press releases won’t get picked up as readily as an email in response to a post. #smwoutreach
— Autharium (@Autharium) September 23, 2014
— Tamar – SEO & Social (@TamarUK) September 23, 2014
You know it’s going to be a good talk when the warm up music is ‘Shake It Off’ from Taylor Swift! #SMWOutreach
— Mark Ian Harrop (@MarkIanHarrop) September 23, 2014
— VCCP Kin (@VCCPKin) September 23, 2014
— Lee Pycroft (@leepycroft) September 23, 2014