23rd December- Remember the Olympics Opening Ceremony?
23rd December: All that British cynicism and apathy finally vanished, as we were all stunned by Danny Boyle’s creative, eccentric and totally, wonderfully British opening ceremony. ‘Isles of wonder’ featured athletes from over 200 countries. Actors, volunteers and musicians celebrated contributions that Britain has made to the world.
It really was spectacular, and we’d challenge you to find someone who wasn’t ‘wowed’ by some of it.
Kicking off an amazing, unforgettable two weeks, making even the most negative of Brits wonder why they ever doubted we’d pull it off! The world saw why we really are *Great* Britain!
- The Olympic Flame arriving by speedboat carrying David Beckham who handed it to Sir Steve Redgrave
- Bradley Wiggins ringing the largest harmonically tuned bell in the world.
- Kenneth Branagh playing Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the ceremony, speaking lines from Shakespeare’s The Tempest
- The Queen, James Bond and even the corgis!
- London Symphony Orchestra, with Rowan Atkinson’s Mr Bean on keyboards
- Performances from great musical acts including Bowie, Queen and Emeli Sande
Good luck topping London2012, Rio!