Now that the clocks have gone back, and the nights are getting darker – let’s face it – we’re all getting sleepier. This dull autumnal weather and coldness in the mornings makes us want to hibernate as getting out of bed becomes more and more of a challenge.We wanted to be able to wake up feeling relaxed, rested and ready to work- so we decided to give the ‘Sleep Cycle’ app a go.
What is it?
- A bio-alarm clock that analyzes your sleep patterns and wakes you up when you are in the lightest sleep phase.
- When you sleep you go from light sleep to deep sleep, and occasionally you enter into a dream state called REM-Rapid eye movement sleep.
How does it work?
A normal alarm clock doesn’t care about your sleep patterns, and will go off regardless. Whereas, ‘Sleep Cycle’ uses the accelerometer in your iPhone to monitor your movement to determine which sleep phase you are in. Therefore, it stops you from being awakened during a sleep phase. It does this by using a 30 minute window that ends at your set alarm time and wake you when you’re in your lightest sleep phase.
Who is it for?
YOU – especially if you’ve ever woken up and still felt as exhausted as when you went to bed.
- Vibration as well as sound to wake you up
- Track the quality of your sleep each night
- Works in background on your iPhone
- Can add sleep notes, to see how events such as drinking coffee, eating too much or having a stressful day affect your quality of sleep
- Long term graphs will track your sleep quality over time
- Can export sleep data into Excel
- Track how you feel each morning
- Make sure you have your charger plugged in, as it uses 30% of your battery
- Make sure you leave your device somewhere on the bed where it won’t fall off
- It can take up to two nights to properly calibrate to your accelerometer.
- Use a back up alarm clock the first time you try it.
Try it for yourself, and tell us what you think: Sleep Cycle App Store