SEO Tips – How to update content regularly
The recent Google ‘Panda’ Update has been a real game-changer, in that it is the first clear indication from Google that they intend to reward sites that have good content; content which is –
3. Regularly updated
4. Well positioned within the structure of the site
Generally speaking, this has been the case for sometime; however, with the panda update the repercussions of not following their guidelines have been most evident.
In my previous blog I emphasised how important it is to keep adding new content to your site and make it shareable across various social media platforms. Today, I am going to talk about one particular method of doing so.
There are various methods to incorporate new content on your site. One of the most common solutions that people think about is to add a blog to your site. However, there are some industries such as banking, public sector etc where a blog will face resistance from the compliance department. In such cases, the webmasters or the agency account manager responsible for the client could look at the following sections of the site –
• Product Guides
• FAQ Sections
• Quick Links, etc.
Create a short, relevant, product specific content which includes a recently discovered keyword as an anchor text in the guides and FAQs. Thereafter, create a keyword optimised individual page that sit as a standalone pages off the guides (linked through the anchor text) . The content on these pages could be used to link back to either the guides page or the product landing page in question.
The idea is to emphasise the importance of a target landing page through internal linking which will be picked up by Google when it crawls the website.
The benefits of creating content within this structure are numerous:
– Regularly updated content will encourage crawlers to cache the site more frequently, which improves the probability of the respective page ranking for the targeted terms.
– If the content sits well within the structure of the site, well positioned internal links will help to make the site more accessible to site spiders.
– Ensuring that spiders are able to move easily between targeted pages and index the respective content is vitally important for improved natural search performance.
– By adding relevant content to the site, we are growing the number of pages and thereby increasing the size of the site.
– Creating regularly updated feature pieces will enable us to target product specific long tail keywords. Doing so enables you to grow the basket of non-branded terms driving traffic to the site. This is a fundamental element of a successful natural search campaign.
One of the most famous idioms of the world is ‘necessity is the mother of innovation’. With Panda, Google has created the necessity and it’s now down to YOU to create creative and innovate methods for content creation, irrespective of any hurdles.