5 things you may not have known about the Big G?
• All 7 major American political candidates visited the Googleplex on the run up to the vote. All seemingly with the same intension, to reach the pinnacle of modern cool and appear more ‘Google like’.
• The first search engine prototype created by Larry and Sergey was called Backrub, and much of the backlink analysis technology was transferred to the engine we recognise today as Google
• Google has unearthed more of the worlds secrets than any dictatorial government in history, thus revolutionising advertising mediums and removing all certainties surrounding traditional print media. Google now controls 40% of all online advertising!
• In the first three or so years the Stanford duo made practically no profit at all, its only when the first ad was placed next to a SERP did the $ start to roll in. Today this ad revenue helps keep Google’s profits at a healthy $4.2bn.
• Googol was the first name for Google and it means 1 followed by 100 zeros.
Whatever the future holds for the world of search, im sure when the genuine history of the internet is created in a 100 years time, two geeks from Stanford will certainly dominate the early ‘pages’. I personally find it difficult to understand just what a profound affect these two individuals will have had on all our lives, we can wax lyrical about government identity theft and past overly intrusive political regimes, but at the end of the day this venture has captured more information in the last 10 years, than any polical regime could collect in a millennia.