Common web design trends
Some common web design trends seen in 2007 were:
- The increased use of gradients on pages. Turning flat pages into ones that are more engaging and three-dimensional.
- The widespread use of large fonts for headers and website text.
- The widespread use of white backgrounds and the use of large white areas/spacing between content.
- Websites with diagonally-lined backgrounds.
- Reflective Wet floor effects, for example simulating a water reflection effect on a header image.
- An increase in the Use of pixel-like fonts.
Now that we are in 2008, a few additional design trends are:
- The use of more earthly colours that aren’t excessively bright have become popular again. Particularly on dark grey backgrounds
- An increase in the use of flowery-type-flourishes, exuberant swirls and drips. That enable websites to become ‘works of art’.
- The use of cartoon-like characters or website mascots.
- Breaking down the walls! Creating layouts that go even further beyond the over-used ‘box model’ of website design.
- The rise of the RSS feed, resulting in RSS logos that are more prominent and ‘in your face!’
As we are only in the first few months of 2008, it is almost certain that we will see a lot more new and interesting design trends emerging throughout the rest of the year.