7 Outlandish Predictions for 2008
It’s time to put my neck on the line and make some predictions for 2008. Some of these predictions may seem like bold outlandish statements – but it is New Years Eve after all.
So here goes…
- Facebook will topple Google as the #1 ranked website before the end of Quarter 3.
- Paid search will become less viable as a marketing channel due to increased competition and CPC exacerbated by widespread click fraud. Smart marketers will shift paid search budget over to organic and social media marketing.
- Open Social will come out of beta, will bridge the gap between the coalition of the willing and even though no one outside the tech establishment will care, behind the scenes it will help enable social graph driven discovery.
- Microsoft will buy Yahoo, then use it to power Live Search, dramatically improving their search quality and increasing their market share.
- Facebook will use the Yahoo powered Live Search to power keyword driven search queries within facebook, generating a massive revenue stream for facebook and providing Ad Centre with sufficient ad inventory to overthrow Adwords.
- Google talk and Google mail will remain in beta.
- All your data are belong to GBase – Universal Search will make it vital to optimise and submit to GBase. Feed-optimisation will become a critical part of natural search marketing.
It’ll be interesting to look back in 12 months and see how “on-the-nail” or “off-the-mark” these predictions actually are.
For me 2008 looks set to be the most exciting time there has ever been online. I wish you a happy new year and wish you and your family the very best for 2008.