SMX Social – 5 Good, 5 Bad…
I have to admit I am a little bored during the current session – you’ll never convince me that Second Life is anything but a novel fad, and I’m a pretty good evangelist already. But noticing the fact that my previous post is getting Sphun as I sat here, I thought I should keep posting!!
Okay, so one of the things we learnt yesterday was that doing "Top 10" lists is quite popular on site like Digg and Sphinn, but I thought I’d take a different, er, spin on this and do my Top 5 and Bottom 5 from the conference so far…
Top 5 Great Things
- Neil Patel’s enthusiasm – it’s like he is high on the drug of Social Media! His comment yesterday about networking rather than looking at porn was brilliant.
- The connectivity – the wireless here is brilliant, and there are plug sockets everywhere!
- The location – New York baby, yeah!
- The great quality of speakers – with the exception of a few nervous speakers, everyone so far has been really good, consise and backed up by great powerpoint!
- So. Many. Bloggers! – If I stop paying attention for a second I can catch up with one of the fifty people who are blogging live from the event!
Top 5 not-so-great Things
- The seating – the chairs on both days have been super-uncomfortable, and the floor (which I am currently sat on) isn’t much better.
- The sponsor stands – I understand the reason you need to let the sponsors have stands, but could they PLEASE stop chatting loudly during the talks?!
- The location – New York is brilliant, but being cooped up in a conference feels like a waste! 🙂
- So. Many. Bloggers! – It’s great that everyone is blogging, but sitting at your seat being surrounded by people fighting for space for their laptops is quite hard.
- The "networking" irony – I shouldn’t really complain since I’m a good example, but a room full of people learning about SOCIAL media is ironically quite hard to network in, as everyone is straight on to their blog / blackberry / phone the moment the session finishes!
I could have gone on with my first list I should say, overall the conference is going really well.
Hey, if any of you Sphinning me want to add me as a friend on Facebook (yes Neil J, I AM a friend whore!) you can do so here